MAKEDEV problem, and 2.6 kernel-related sound problem

Just did an install of sarge via the beta debian-installer image, and
MAKEDEV is telling me this:

/sbin/MAKEDEV: line 1: major_device-mapper=254: command not found

I've updated and then uninstalled libdevmapper1.00 and it has no effect,
and that's the only related package I could really find.  makedev
package is up to date.  I've done an install off of these disks before,
and this problem never appeared, so I don't think they're related in any
way.

I initially found this when trying to figure out how to get sound
working on 2.6 (the 2.6.0-test9 package).  I have loaded every
sound-related module known to man and still don't have any sound; I
noticed that I have no /dev/sound directory, and went to create it, but
alas, MAKEDEV won't work.

So, any ideas?

(Cc me please)
--
Nick Welch aka mackstann | mack @ incise.org | http://incise.org
You can't have your cake and let your neighbor eat it too.