Upgrading from stable to testing with apt-get?

Hello,

I've been using Slackware for a little over a year now, and have loved it except for one thing: installing programs. Most of the time it goes just fine, but the 10% or 20% of the time when it doesn't, it's incredibly frustrating. After spending an entire day last week trying to get TuxRacer (and its dependencies) installed, I decided to try Debian.

I used jigdo-lite to make CDs of the first two discs for "stable" (3.0r2). That's all up and running, and of course it's really old. I want to upgrade to "testing" but I'm not exactly sure how. I'm currently at this page:

ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/debian-unofficial/sarge/jigdo/

...and I see that there are 12 ISO images for i386. I'm downloading them now with jigdo-lite (I'm on disc 4!), but I think there's got to be a better way using apt-get.

So I came across this thread:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200202/msg01764.html

...and it makes me think that I can put lines into /etc/apt/preferences and/or /etc/apt/apt.conf that will cause "apt-get upgrade" to upgrade me to the testing release. Is that correct? If so, exactly what do I need to put into those files? Currently, neither of those files exist on my system.

Thanks,
Anthony
http://nodivisions.com/