Re: ext2/ext3 filesystems

Quoting Jeffrey L. Taylor <jeff@austinblues.dyndns.org>:
> During the boot, I get the following warning:
>
> Partition check:
>  /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: [PTBL] [1021/255/63] p1 p2 p3
> ext3: No journal on filesystem on ide0(3,1)
>
> Is this /dev/hda3 it is talking about?  And why does it think it is an
> ext3 filesystem?  /etc/fstab and the superblock both think it is
> ext2.  What thinks it is ext3?

AFAICT, this is just an information message.  It is before the partition
is mounted.  I think because the kernel has ext3 module, it checks
during the boot process.  I have put ext3 journals on both partitions and
now I get similar, but opposite message(s) informing me that it found
a journal.  The partitions are mounted as ext3 filesystems.

I ran across resources telling/warning that LILO can read ext3
filesystems, but not all boot loaders can.  For some you have to
create a tiny ext2 boot partition that the boot loader can read and
then the other partitions can be anything the kernel, with modules,
can read (though if the root partition is anything not compiled into
the kernel, you have to use an initial ramdisk).

Jeffrey