Unresolve symbols, running kernel

I'm trying to build the Wacom tablet driver from the linuxwacom project,
and in attempting to load the resultant wacom.o module, I get three
unresolved symbols:

input_register_device_Rd7e250e3
input_event_Rbe7e42b3
input_unregister_device_Rcf34c401

I have the 2.4.18-1-k6 kernel image that loads at boot. In order to
build this module, I installed the 2.4.18-1-k6 kernel package and built
the source using the .config file in my /boot partition. Now, I find the
same symbols published in:

/lib/modules/2.4.18-1-k6/kernel/drivers/input/input.o

that I just built. However, these may not be the same symbols published
by the actual running kernel, and I don't know how to tell what those
are.

So I suppose the question is: does a built module attempt to reconcile
its symbols with a running kernel or with the one you've just built? (I
hope this makes sense.)

Paul