Re: Booting w/ dual CPUs hangs

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:00:08 -0600
"Jeffrey L. Taylor" <jeff@austinblues.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Quoting Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net>:

> > > http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/19981215/sl2w8-01.html
> >
> >  Sorry about the brevity, I think the cpu's need to be the same or
> >  at
> > least the same core to do dual. Some docs mention matching cpu's
> > (stepping) but my somewhat limited experience indicates the same
> > core will do it.
> > - --
> > Greg Madden
>
> Thank you for both e-mails.  The Deschutes and Klamath core look very
> different.  After reading the Toms Hardware article, I am not
> surprised that running dual doesn't work.  I am pleasantly surprised
> that both CPUs work in UP mode.  It also looks like I am better off
> running the Deschutes.  Should run cooler, and possibly give better
> performance.

You could also put a couple of Athlon 2000s on that board. It was
actually made with AMD in mind, specifically MP processors, but in
actual fact there is very little difference between the Athlon and the
MP. The Athlon has a config turned off, but if you know what you are
doing, apparently you can switch that back on too, if you need it.
That would really make that board hum.
Regards,

David.