Booting w/ dual CPUs hangs

I have a box with a Tyan Thunder dual CPU MB.  The two CPUs I have are
both 300MHz Pentium IIs.  But one is a Deschutes step 2 and the other
a Klamath step 4.  Both work when they are the only CPU, but booting
with both installed hangs just after the NRG is initialized and
"Recovering nvi editor sessions".  This is when init starts.  Do I
need to get matching CPUs?  Or is there something else I need to do.
The kernel is stock 2.4.18-1-686-smp from debian.org.

TIA,
  Jeffrey