Re: Booting w/ dual CPUs hangs

Quoting Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net>:

> On Saturday 27 December 2003 06:36 pm, Greg Madden wrote:
> > On Saturday 27 December 2003 02:28 pm, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> > > I have a box with a Tyan Thunder dual CPU MB.  The two CPUs I have
> > > are both 300MHz Pentium IIs.  But one is a Deschutes step 2 and the
> > > other a Klamath step 4.  Both work when they are the only CPU, but
> > > booting with both installed hangs just after the NRG is initialized
> > > and "Recovering nvi editor sessions".  This is when init starts.
> > > Do I need to get matching CPUs?  Or is there something else I need
> > > to do. The kernel is stock 2.4.18-1-686-smp from debian.org.
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > >   Jeffrey
> >
> > http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/19981215/sl2w8-01.html
>
>  Sorry about the brevity, I think the cpu's need to be the same or at
> least the same core to do dual. Some docs mention matching cpu's
> (stepping) but my somewhat limited experience indicates the same core
> will do it.
> - --
> Greg Madden

Thank you for both e-mails.  The Deschutes and Klamath core look very
different.  After reading the Toms Hardware article, I am not
surprised that running dual doesn't work.  I am pleasantly surprised
that both CPUs work in UP mode.  It also looks like I am better off
running the Deschutes.  Should run cooler, and possibly give better
performance.

Thanks,
  Jeffrey