Re: Openbox as Gnomes window manager? :-s

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:21:20 +0100
Tom <tom@abwaerts.be> wrote:

> * [27/12/2003 20:26] Todd Pytel <tppytel@sophrosune.org>:
>
> <metacity gone with new user>
>
> > > What's wrong? Is this a bug? Or what am I overlooking? Is there a
> > > way have the default (Metacity) back?
> >
> > Probably you changed the default,
>
> No, I sure didn't. I did install Openbox some time *after* I installed
> Gnome, however, but I'd say that shouldn't cause the default window
> manager to change.

I meant you changed the default when you edited the key in gconf back to
metacity from openbox. Why it was changed to openbox in the first place,
I don't know. Maybe it was a debconf question?

> > This one, however, *should* be pretty easy. Log in as that user and
> > do:
> >
> > metacity --replace
> >
> > That should replace openbox with metacity in the session. Make sure
> > you save changes to the session when you log out, if that isn't done
> > automatically.
>
> Yay -- it did the trick indeed. Thanks a lot...

Cool.

> > And FWIW, Openbox 3 blows Metacity out of the water as a GNOME WM.
> > You may want to check it out. IMHO, of course...
>
> Ah, but that's another point. I'm not enough of an advanced user to
> appreciate the differences between the two. I do know I like the sheer
> appearance of Metacity with Gnome, which is why I don't bother to
> change... Things would undoubtedly be different with a machine less
> powerful, I guess, but that doesn't bother me just yet.

I haven't tried using GNOME on an old machine in quite some time. I'd
probably just skip it entirely and go with straight openbox, fluxbox, or
icewm if I had to. I just like Openbox because it has much nicer hotkey
and virtual desktop customizations than Metacity. I agree that Metacity
looks nicer out of the box, though. I had to tweak a theme a bit to make
it fit well with GNOME.

> Thanks once more,
> Tom

No problem.