Re: Openbox as Gnomes window manager? :-s

* [27/12/2003 20:26] Todd Pytel <tppytel@sophrosune.org>:

<metacity gone with new user>

> > What's wrong? Is this a bug? Or what am I overlooking? Is there a way
> > have the default (Metacity) back?
>
> Probably you changed the default,

No, I sure didn't. I did install Openbox some time *after* I installed
Gnome, however, but I'd say that shouldn't cause the default window
manager to change.

> but openbox is still in that user's gnome-session and thus overrides
> it. Window-manager handling in GNOME is really pretty fugly, mainly
> because the various WM's interact with gnome-session in different ways.

I see.

> This one, however, *should* be pretty easy. Log in as that user and do:
>
> metacity --replace
>
> That should replace openbox with metacity in the session. Make sure you
> save changes to the session when you log out, if that isn't done
> automatically.

Yay -- it did the trick indeed. Thanks a lot...

> And FWIW, Openbox 3 blows Metacity out of the water as a GNOME WM. You
> may want to check it out. IMHO, of course...

Ah, but that's another point. I'm not enough of an advanced user to
appreciate the differences between the two. I do know I like the sheer
appearance of Metacity with Gnome, which is why I don't bother to
change... Things would undoubtedly be different with a machine less
powerful, I guess, but that doesn't bother me just yet.

Thanks once more,
Tom

--
"Mongolian drivers do not care much about pedestrians."