Re: OT: Thunderbird 0.4 "feels" better

> Hey, you're right.
> `simple' "Reply" puts *only* the list as recipient. This mail, for
> instance, was sent with "Reply", and at least I believe it's sent only
> to the list, and not you as an individual (as well).

that's because on this list, the reply-to headers are set to reply to
the list. clicking 'reply' therefore does just that. that behaviour is
the same in almost all mail clients.

the problem with this sort of list, though, is that replying backchannel
becomes rather difficult, unless one's mail-client has the option to
overide the reply-to header and send to the 'from' address. such a
command exists in pine (where one is asked each time whether one wants
to use the reply-to rather than the from address) or mulberry, where
there is an option to 'reply to from', with the same effect.

> Guess it's an "Outlook-thing"; isn't that where the "Reply all" goes to
> the list (only)? It /is/ more logical this way though, "Reply" goes to
> list, "Reply all" goes to list and individual ...

the problem comes about when headers are not munged and pressing 'reply'
sends a message to the individual who sent the previous message, while

evolution has a separate 'reply to list' function, which puts the list
in the 'to' field without letting the original poster get more than one
copy of the message. this is, however, lacking in most email clients.

does that make anything clearer?

loves,

josh