Re: A good book on C Programming?

Hi, Gavin...

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 08:37:56PM +0000, Gavin Henry wrote:
> During my degree, BEng (Hons) Electronics and Communications Engineering, we
> did C programming every year, but I never kept it up, as I had no interest
> and didn't see the point.

Lucky you. I studied computer science and never learned C there. But
I was arrogant enough to ignore the lessons they tried to teach me
Pascal, Miranda and Scheme and instead spent my time home alone to learn C
and Perl. ;)

> But now I really want to get back into it as I see a point with
> GNU/Linux. I want to get my old skills back and write something or
> help on some projects etc.
>
> I need some good books. [...]

There is a standard book that is often recommended. I bought the book
and second that. It's called "Advanced Programming in the UNIX
environment". If you know a little about programming in general and have
a little experience in the basics of UNIX/Linux you will find this book
useful. ISBN: 0-201-56317-7. The price is a little scary. :)

> One more question, should I go for C or C++? Which will benefit me more with
> GNU/Linux?

Both can be used well. It's more a matter of taste. Most programs are
still done in C. However when it comes to object-orientation C is a
little limited. C++ goes beyond that. I personally was scared away from
C++ and still use C for projects I want other people to use and Perl for
personal projects and daily system administration. You will probably
find many people that will prefer C++ over C.

By the way... in my opinion you can also learn much from other people's
source code. So starting to help in other projects or to just wade
through an interesting little tool's sources will light a few bulbs, too.

 Christoph

--
~
~