Re: Deb commands

Stephen Liu <satimis@icare.com.hk> writes:

> Where can I find a list of Deb command corresponding to RPM.  Is there
> similarity/equivalent

The 'dpkg' command is most similar to the 'rpm' command; if you have
an individual .deb file, 'dpkg -i foo.deb' will install it, replacing
any previously existing version, and will complain if its dependencies
aren't available.

To actually download and install packages, most people use some
variant of the APT tool set.  I recommend using 'aptitude', a
console-mode UI that will list the packages and allow you to mark
packages for installation and removal, resolve any dependency
conflicts, automatically remove unused packages, and finally do a bulk
download/install/remove.  The 'apt-get' command-line tool is also used
fairly widely, though it's harder to resolve dependency conflicts and
that tool doesn't track automatically-installed packages.

	-- Abra Mitchell