Re: Excahnge data between NTFS and Linux partitions

Question #1 is something I'm pondering on myself; I just assumed it's me being stupid, although I have the same settings for my NTFS partition, as another ext2 ...

Question #2, in kernel 2.6 I believe you can set NTFS as writable, although it's experimental, and at least I don't dare to use it. ;)

Question #3, perhaps by some external tools (software, that is), but I don't know any offhand --- if there even are any.

The way I solve exchange of files between XP and Linux, is that I have a FAT-partition, which is (easily) mountable, readable and writable, by both Windows and Linux ...

h: Kristian

Andrus Moor wrote:
I have dual booting system:  XP with NTFS and Debian unstable with ext2 file
systems.
This is Acer Travelmate notebook. Network and internet connections are not
available usually.

1. How to allow non-root user to read XP partition ?

I added a line to /etc/fstab :

/dev/hda1  /xp ntfs  users,uid=andrus,exec,rw,suid,umark=0777

Unfortunately, only root can access to xp directory.
User andrus does not have access to /xp directory. Why ?

2. How to write to NTFS partition from Linux ?

The fstab line above mounts /xp as read only !

3. How to read and write ext2 partition from Windows XP ?