Re: Root Partition Fills Up Completely After a Few Hours

on Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 01:24:10PM -0800, Scarletdown (gsutton9503@charter.net) wrote:
> Scarletdown wrote:
>

> >1310872 /home/scarletdown
> >
> >3664968 /home/scarletdown
> >
> >So, it looks like the problem child is somewhere in my home directory,
> >considering that is the only line that is different between the two.
> >

> After looking at my home directory in Konqueror and switching to
> Detailed List View and selecting Show Hidden Files, I found the source
> of my frustration.
>
> There is a hidden file called kde3-errors; which at this moment is
> 73.8GB in size.  I will now hit Reload...
>
> It has increased to 75.3GB
>
> So until I can take some time out to troubleshoot what these errors are,
> I need to know how to stop this file from being created each time I log
> back into KDE.

A few additional points...

First:  to "zero" the file:  ">~/kde3-errors" (which is the same as "cat
/dev/null > ~/kde3-errors").

One suggestion is to look at the file and see what errors its reporting.
If possible, fix the problem.  Solving the problem of too many error
messages by ignoring the messages is generally a suboptimal solution.

Your problem and solution also indicate that you've given your system a
single partition.  While seperating out, say, a minimal root filesystem
(/bin, /boot, /dev, /etc, /home, /initrd, /lib, /root, /sbin), and
splitting off /tmp, /usr, /var, and /home wouldn't have stopped you from
filling up your /home filesystem, you _would_ still have had use of the
rest of your system.  My previous post on partitioning links to a more
complete discussion of such benefits.

You might also want to look at quota and ulimit, which can set limits on
resource utilization, including filesize, of any files created.  Another
possibly useful utility is logrotate, which can watch and trim or rotate
logfiles on a scheduled basis.

However, first suggestion remains finding out what it is that KDE's
complaining about, and fixing that problem or filing a bug, if
appropriate.

Peace.

    - Benjamin Franklin, 1755