Re: Is Evolution available for net-installation

on Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 12:18:03AM +0800, Stephen Liu (satimis@icare.com.hk) wrote:
> Hi Karsten,
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> On Fri, 2003-12-26 at 00:00, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>

> > > I am prepared to install Ximian Evolution but could not find it
> > > available for net-installation
> > >
> > > # apt-cache search Ximian Evolutuon
> > > # apt-cache search Evolution
> >

> >     $ apt-cache show evolution
> >     Package: evolution

> > > could not find it.  Kindly advise whether its latest version is
> > > available for net-installation.  OR I have to download its tarball from
> > > Ximian website.
> >
> > What debian release are you using?  I'm on testing/unstable.
> > Double-check your /etc/apt/sources.list file, and try running 'atp-get
> > update' again.
>
> Debian 3.0

That's 'stable'.  Try:

    $ cat /etc/debian_version

> On a RH9 box I am running Evolution 1.4 which was download and installed
> from Ximian website.  If on Debian site only Version: 1.0.5-1 available
> could I do the same as to RH9 box?

Debian stable doesn't upgrade packages.  It *does* backport security and
bugfixes.  However, you're generally going to be using whatever version
of a package was included at release time, for the next 1.5 - 2 years.

The short answer is that you'd have to update to 'testing' (recommended)
or 'unstable' (if you're new to Debian, I don't recommend this).  There
are a number of issues, mostly concerning security updates.  There's
extensive discussion of this on list, or see:

    http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/testing-security.html

    http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/quick-reference/ch-woody.en.html

Peace.

   A guide to GNU/Linux partitioning: