booting to serial console

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to boot Linux with serial console. The
kernel switches console to serial, outputs something unreadable and then
switches back to regular console. I guess that the problem is the penguin
image which appears during the boot process. I have looked through boot
mans (such as lilo.conf) but have not found any way to disable it. How to
make Linux boot in text only mode, without fancy stuuf like images and
colored text?

Thanks,
Alex