Re: Athlon and Debian?

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:21:58PM -0600, Forest Fisher wrote:
> I just got a new laptop for x-mas that runs on an AMD Athlon XP-M Processor.  I was hoping to run Debian on my new computer, but the official webpage indicates that the latest release of Debian is not supported by the Athlon architecture.  Nonetheless, other webpages (such as DebianPlanet.org) talk about an "Athlon Builder."  I'm a newbie, and I don't really understand what is meant by an Athlon Builder.  Does this mean that if I run the Athlon Builder I can run Debian on my system or is there just no way to port Debian to my computer?  If the latter is true, does anyone know another GNU/Linux OS that will run on an Athlon processor?  Thanx a million,
>
> Forest

I am running a mobile athelon xp 1500 on my laptop with no problem. I
am using a standard kernel (i.e not a debian distributed one), although
that shouldn't change anything.
If you want a kernel optimized for athelon (and the few packages that
are optimized for athelon) you should get the packages ending with k7
when they exist (thats the technical name - for lack of a better term
on my part - of the athelon cpu). Are regular kernel should also work
BTW.
The kernel package you want is (assuming you are using unstable, don't
know if the same versions are available for stable):
kernel-image-2.4.22-1-k7
What the website probably meant was that only a few packages are
specifically optimized for athelon (you shouldn't see the performance
difference in most cases).