trouble installing kernel image

I am having trouble installing a kernel image which seems to depend on
initrd. The error message below is a verbatim message which follows the
halting of the installation.  For some reason after I add
'initrd=/initrd' I cannot run lilo.  Do I need initrd?  If so, how can
I satisfy the request from the kernel image installation request?  If I
don't need initrd, how do I identify a kernel image that doesn't require
initrd?

sam

Error message:

You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version 2.4.16-k6)
This will not work unless you have configured your boot loader to use
initrd.
As a reminder, in order to configure lilo, you need to
add an 'initrd=/initrd' in your /etc/lilo.conf
I repeat, You need to configure your boot loader. If you have already done
so, and you wish to get rid of this message, please put
  `do_initrd = Yes'
in /etc/kernel-img.conf.
Do you want to stop now? [Y/n]