Re: problems booting with grub

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 01:04:17 -0600, Grant Bierman wrote:

> After re-installing debian via knoppix on my parents computer, and
> dist-updating. I installed grub again and at the time thought it was all
> configured right.
>

> But when it once re-started after the storm pass through the other night
> what was seen on the screen was error 15 after stage 1.5. *sigh*
>
> So I pulled out the knoppix cd and check this and that and fix the grub
> menu.lst. And rebooted, no go so I then made a grub-floppy only to get
> read error at stage two...

Seems quite okay so far. Are you sure you get the error booting to the
*floppy* ? The floppy should boot just fine in any machine; even without
harddrive at all. Then your floppy must be gone ...
In short: boot to grub floppy must lead to grub >.

> Now I'm not sure what to try next, boot is on /dev/hda1, root is at
> /dev/hda3 and it did boot with lilo. The only other boot related change
> I made when I installed grub was apt installing kernel 2.6.0 test 9.

This is rather the focus of the trouble, I guess.

Get a working boot floppy (until grub >), issue a root (hd0, and press tab
- grub *has* tab-completion - and see the partitions for yourself.

kernel /vml <tab> shows you what you could boot to. Finish the line
manually and <Enter>

type boot and off you go. grub is very hard to fail here as long as you
put everything right.

Good luck !