Re: Howto? ATI Radeon on Sarge

hanasaki, Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 08:08:28PM -0600:
> Any thoughts on how to use a ATI Radeon (probably 9000 or 9200) sarge?
> Sarge has XFree4.2x and the xfree86.org web site documents no radeon
> support until XFree4.3x.  ATI seems to have some drivers on their site
> but only in RPM format (no .deb)  Also, someone mentioned the VESA
> driver.  Could this be of any value?
>
> OS	- Debian Sarge
> Kernel	- 2.4.24 and 2.6
>
> Any info would be most appreciated.  100% open source is the goal and
> NVidia supposedly is not all open source.

I have an ATI Radeon 9200 AGP.

I use woody with a 2.4.22 kernel and xfree86 4.2 from backports.org.  I
used the instructions from http://g-tec.co.at/ati_alt.html; they worked
like a charm.  All other resolution paths ended in failure.

Although, I'm not sure if the drivers from ati are 100% open source.  The
card works without them, just at an order of magnitude performance
degradation.