Re: Bootable Debian ISO

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 03:07:55AM +0100, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:17:49 +0000,
> Antony Gelberg <antony@antgel.co.uk> wrote in message
> <[🔎] 20031223141749.GA6069@brain.pulsesol.com>:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've made the changes that I wanted to the CD1 ISO, new kernel and
> > all. But how do I make it bootable?  I have tried:
> >
> > mkisofs -b install/rescue.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -o pulsix.iso -T
> > -r /tmp/iso/usbkey
> > mkisofs -b
> > ./dists/woody/main/disks-i386/3.0.23-2002-05-21/images-1.44/bf2.4/res
> > cue.bin-c isolinux/boot.cat -o pulsix.iso -T -r /tmp/iso/usbkey
> >
> > But when I boot from the CD, I get asked for a root floppy.  What is
> > the correct parameter to -b to get the usual Debian CD1 install?
>
> ..tried booting your cd appending "root=/dev/ramdisk" or whatever it is
> to boot into?  My guess is you missed this part of the boot command
> line in your boot image.

Perhaps I should have been more specific.  The CD's I've made _do_ boot,
it's just that neither of the rescue.bin images I listed above are
correct for a CD boot - i.e. they boot, but don't give me bf24 as an
available option, then even if I press enter for 2.2, they ask for a
root floppy.  It's just like what you get from booting from a _real_
floppy.

Any ideas?

Happy holidays all!

Please don't CC me.  Also _please_ read the following before posting:
Documentation - http://www.debian.org/doc/
FAQ - http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/
Install manual (i386) - http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install