Re: Gnome-Session ? what's needed for Gnome ?

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:34:04 -0700, s. keeling wrote:

>> 1. No 'system' by default
>
> What the hell is that?

On gdm, for your info, we can have a menu item called 'System' containing
stuff as I wrote earlier (reboot, shutdown, whatnot). It is inactive by
default and needs to be activated by root before becoming visible.
Which is braindead, because it doesn't permit anything without root
password again. root * 2.

>> 2. No command-line session (something I always like with Solaris and
>> implemented in kdm)

<CTRL><ALT><Fn>

Thanks for confirming that gdm is sufficiently braindead to not offer
obvious tasks, and not being able to avoid circumventing it (gdm) to call
those tasks.

>> 3. No
shutdown by user without manually tweaking gdm.conf

> See #2.

See above

>> In short: brain-dead and deserves to die gracefully. So why should I
>
> Ptheh.

What's this ? gdm blowing out its lifeline ? ;)