Re: using old isa bus ethernet cards

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:07:20 -0500, Debian User wrote:
>
> > i did this but am still having no luck. part of my problem is that
> > i am not sure which io address to use (or how to know which one is
> > correct for the given isa slot). furthermore, the interrupt should
> > be set. i do not see jumpers on the ethernet cards to set the irq.

The slot doesn't matter.

Both interrupt and I/O adress are set on/for/by the card. No matter into
wich slot you place it, the card that is set for 0x300 will use 0x300;
this will give the most interesting errors if somehow two cards claim
the same adress range (or irq, for that matter).
This is the reason why Plug-and-Play was invented in the first place.

However, while PnP works quite good for PCI cards, I found it to be a
PITA when it comes to ISA devices. And with ne2000 clones it is a big
no-no anyway (read the Etherenet-HOWTO for details).

So, as others have already suggested: once you identified your card, try
to get a copy of the original setup software and turn off PnP. I've got
a few old ISA nics myself and was astonished and pleased that the
manufacturers keep the software available for download seemingly
forever, so your chances are good.

cu,
Schnobs