Re: floating screen

> If that's what you really want, you can edit your XF86Config file (or
> use 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86') to not use higher-resolution
> higher-resolution displays.

Another thing that will give you big fonts sizes in your menus only
(like the Mozilla menus, for example) is to start X this way (note:
doesn't work if you use GDM/KDM/XDM to start X):

  startx -- -dpi 10

If you like the result, rather than typing this everytime, you can put
this alias into .bashrc:

alias startx='startx -- -dpi 100'

regards,
Robert