Rolling my own - install kernel

As some of you may remember, I am interested in "rolling my own Debian".
This would be a minimal ISO but with an up to date 2.4.23 for new
drivers, and perhaps the Nvidia ones as well.  The purpose is to give me
a way to install on bleeding-edge motherboards with SATA RAID etc.

I've decided that the best way for me is to take a normal woody disk 1
ISO, mount it, and change it as necessary.

If I compile a custom kernel that I want to use for the install, how can
I alter my ISO tree so that this kernel is provided as an install
option.  I'm not bothered about changing the blurb, I just want to be
able to type something else at the boot: prompt, and get it to use my
kernel.

I have tried the d-i ISO, but I don't want sarge, and it didn't detect
my RAID as a RAID, but rather two separate drives.

A (CC'd to debian-boot - if any d-b person replied, a CC would be
appreciated.)

--
Please don't CC me.  Also _please_ read the following before posting:
Documentation - http://www.debian.org/doc/