Re: diagnosing firewire hard drive problems

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 06:09:20PM -0600, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 17:39, Matt Price wrote:
> > hey folks,
> >
> > I have an external firewire hard drive mounted via the scsi/firewire
> > system -- I store my mp3's there mainly.
> >
> > my 3-year-old turned off the drive unit's power switch one day when I
> > wasn't paying attention (hopefully learned a parenting lesson
> > there!).  Now the drive is still detected by rescan-scsci-bus.sh, and
> > the relevant partition will mount, but any operation I try gives the
> > following error:
> >

> > [18:36:16]root@matts-mac:~$ mount /mnt/firewire2
> > [18:36:19]root@matts-mac:~$ ls /mnt/firewire2
> > ls: reading directory /mnt/firewire2: Input/output error
> >
> > so my question:  how do I start figuring out what's wrong?  I'd rather
> > not have to delete the whole iflesystem...
> >
> > any suggestions?
> > thx,
> >
> > matt
>
> Well, for starters you can look at dmesg output when you first plug in
> the drive. Make sure that it's still being detected ok and that the
> connection is established properly. (if you see a "logged in" message
> you should be good.)
>
> Assuming that it was just a filesystem problem and not any sort of
> hardware problem, and assuming that all of your firewire stuff works ok,
> the first thing to do is make sure that sbp2 is creating the SCSI device
> properly and then to check the partition table on the HD. First do a
> 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi' and make sure that it's showing up in there. If it
> is, do a 'fdisk -l /dev/sda' (assuming that it's at sda of course) and
> make sure the partition table is intact. If all of this comes up ok then
> you're in pretty good shape.
>
> Now just do a quick fsck on the drive and you're done. In case you're
> not sure how, just do 'fsck.<your filesystem type> /dev/sda'. So if
> you're using a reiserfs partition, it would be fsck.reiserfs. For ext3
> it's fsck.ext3 and so on.
>
> Hope that helps. :)

hey, thanks, that does help.  Had, er, forgotten to mention that this
is an hfsplus partition (running on a neworld mac).  ran hpfsck and it
tells me the disk is fine (no errors); but I still get input/output
errors when mounting.  So still don't know whatthe problem is -- but
I'm gonna move the discussion over to debian-powerpc, now
thattttttttttTT've,er, acually read the listing in my /etc/fstab and
realized the problem pertains to a hfsplus partiton!

thanks,

matt