Re: diagnosing firewire hard drive problems

On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 17:39, Matt Price wrote:
> hey folks,
>
> I have an external firewire hard drive mounted via the scsi/firewire
> system -- I store my mp3's there mainly.
>
> my 3-year-old turned off the drive unit's power switch one day when I
> wasn't paying attention (hopefully learned a parenting lesson
> there!).  Now the drive is still detected by rescan-scsci-bus.sh, and
> the relevant partition will mount, but any operation I try gives the
> following error:
>

> [18:36:16]root@matts-mac:~$ mount /mnt/firewire2
> [18:36:19]root@matts-mac:~$ ls /mnt/firewire2
> ls: reading directory /mnt/firewire2: Input/output error
>
> so my question:  how do I start figuring out what's wrong?  I'd rather
> not have to delete the whole iflesystem...
>
> any suggestions?
> thx,
>
> matt

Well, for starters you can look at dmesg output when you first plug in
the drive. Make sure that it's still being detected ok and that the
connection is established properly. (if you see a "logged in" message
you should be good.)

Assuming that it was just a filesystem problem and not any sort of
hardware problem, and assuming that all of your firewire stuff works ok,
the first thing to do is make sure that sbp2 is creating the SCSI device
properly and then to check the partition table on the HD. First do a
'cat /proc/scsi/scsi' and make sure that it's showing up in there. If it
is, do a 'fdisk -l /dev/sda' (assuming that it's at sda of course) and
make sure the partition table is intact. If all of this comes up ok then
you're in pretty good shape.

Now just do a quick fsck on the drive and you're done. In case you're
not sure how, just do 'fsck.<your filesystem type> /dev/sda'. So if
you're using a reiserfs partition, it would be fsck.reiserfs. For ext3
it's fsck.ext3 and so on.

Hope that helps. :)

--
Alex Malinovich