PADO timeout w/ pppoe

After some problems, I set up my DSL connection with the kernel pppoe
driver through a Westell WireSpeed modem. This works with my 2.4.22
kernel (well, sometimes I have to power-cycle the modem and restart the
ppp connection). I've been trying to update to 2.4.23 and I just tried
2.6.0, but I'm getting the "Timeout waiting for PADO packets"
error. Obviously, configuration is the same and I made a point of
checking that kernel compile options were the same for all. When I go
back to the older kernel, I can connect as usual. Can anyone tell me
where to look?

Ivan