Re: software raid - fun

hi ya lucas

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, Lucas Albers wrote:

> no, you don't have to lose data, I've done remote upgrades switching from
> non-raid to raid.

yes...  as long as one is "careful"

> Your way has more guarantee you won't lose data, and they can have a
> backup disk on their system, which is nice!

and since its usually customers data... i wanna cover my butt first :-0

> back to what I was saying:
> make raid volume, set partition bits,etc.
> like such, add in new disk, set up a degraded raid 1 volume with two
> members on disk2,volume only has 1 member currently.

yup

> Then mount raid volume on disk2
> Then copy everything from hda1 to hdb1.

presumable hdb1  is "FD" partition type
	- and more importantly, the other 2 raid disks should
	be on different ide cables  hda  and hdc is best ..

> oh yeah install kernel with raid support compiled in,and network card
> support compiled in, as it might have problems with modules...

thats the fun part for some ..

> Then make new lilo entry and set root to /dev/md0
> reboot, and it come up in the raid volume.

yes.... another fun part for some .. what does lilo.conf or grub.conf
looks like

> Then stop the first parttion, wipe it and then hotadd it the /dev/md0
> extending the raid volume to encompass both disk.

ah... the part that i worry about ... all customer data is now gone :-)

> Wait for it to sync, then rewrite lilo.

yes... another part where patience has its virtue .. wait for resync
to complete before doing anything ...

> Then reboot, and it should come up.

that's the 1st of the dozen magic test...
	- power off and disconnect a disks and try for hands off reboot
	after having written a 2-4GB file is my test for resyncing

> Even if you completelly clear a partition but don't format it you can
> still boot from hda1 to a raid volume.

yes... because MBR is not inside /dev/hda1 ...

> I did this accidentally and the system still booted even though hda1 had
> no partitions on it.

saved to your but eh .. :-) one remembers best from ones mistakes :-0

> mkinitrd also complains about not having raidtools2, and I could never
> figure it out. Yes I installed raidtools2.

that would depend also on mkinitrd and all of its contents it has
and stuff you add afterward before you finally close it down to make the
customized initrd.gz files

c ya
alvin