Re: software raid

Alvin Oga said:

> yup.. i know the feeling ....  so my standard answer is its 10x -100x
> faster ( cheaper for the customer too ) to just buy 2 new disks
> and than no data is lost either :-)
> 	if they rather pay for day or dayz or weeks instead of buy 2 new
> 	disks at $60ea .. its their $$$ to convert from non-raid to raid..
>
> and yeah... initrd isnt too bad.. once you get the hang of it and what
> its for ... and what to do to modify it .. just not enough good docs on
> "initrd" is all

whatup again alvin,
no, you don't have to lose data, I've done remote upgrades switching from
non-raid to raid.
Your way has more guarantee you won't lose data, and they can have a
backup disk on their system, which is nice!
I understand why you make this suggestion.
I stick in backup disks on systems I setup now...

back to what I was saying:
make raid volume, set partition bits,etc.
like such, add in new disk, set up a degraded raid 1 volume with two
members on disk2,volume only has 1 member currently.

Then mount raid volume on disk2
Then copy everything from hda1 to hdb1.
oh yeah install kernel with raid support compiled in,and network card
support compiled in, as it might have problems with modules...

Then make new lilo entry and set root to /dev/md0
reboot, and it come up in the raid volume.
Then stop the first parttion, wipe it and then hotadd it the /dev/md0
extending the raid volume to encompass both disk.
Wait for it to sync, then rewrite lilo.
Then reboot, and it should come up.
Even if you completelly clear a partition but don't format it you can
still boot from hda1 to a raid volume.
I did this accidentally and the system still booted even though hda1 had
no partitions on it.

mkinitrd also complains about not having raidtools2, and I could never
figure it out. Yes I installed raidtools2.

--Luke

--
--Luke CS Sysadmin, Montana State University-Bozeman