Re: Web server Partitions - /tmp

on Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 12:32:26PM -0800, Alvin Oga (aoga@ns.Linux-Consulting.com) wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Karsten M. Self wrote:

You left off full attributions:

> > Alvin Oga wrote:

> > > if /tmp is a separate partition and it cannot mount it during bootup,
> > > nothing will work right if the app depends on /tmp, not just apache
> >
> > Wrong.
> >
> > The mount point directory will exist, and will serve as /tmp.  The
> > normally mounted filesystem won't be there.  You'll just be using your
> > root FS as /tmp.
>
> yes.. you're right ...
>
> but ... if "/tmp" accidentally mounted under root fs instead of separate
> partition, than i consider the box as having gone bonkers and "not
> working right"

There's "not working right" (in which case I agree), and there's "not
working".  Point is:  the system will be runnable.  You can attempt to
rectify the problem.  You can mount an alternate partition (if
available) to /tmp.

> ... the box is not running as intended ( /tmp as a separate partition
> ) and the system will die miserably one day soon
> and lots of apps that uses /tmp will go (even more) bonkers

>  	- guess i should been clearer

This is often the case.

> 	- bad, unpredictable things happen when / gets full

Yes, this is why I strongly recommend a separate /tmp partition.

Peace.

    First they came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up, because I
    wasn't a Communist.  Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak
    up, because I wasn't a Jew.  Then they came for the Catholics, and I
    didn't speak up, because I was a Protestant.  Then they came for me,
    and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945