Re: Web server Partitions - /tmp

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> > but ... if "/tmp" accidentally mounted under root fs instead of separate
> > partition, than i consider the box as having gone bonkers and "not
> > working right"
>
> There's "not working right" (in which case I agree), and there's "not
> working".  Point is:  the system will be runnable.  You can attempt to
> rectify the problem.  You can mount an alternate partition (if
> available) to /tmp.

you usually can't fix the problem after the system is up ..
	- best way is to back down to single use, and fix /tmp problems
	so it mounts properly during the next bootup

if for example, you're running X11, or mysql ... you will not be able
to mount another new partition onto /tmp ...
	- /tmp is already in use by other apps so you cant unmount it
	w/o killing x11 or mysql or other apps

	- any new partitions mounted to new /tmp will hide old /tmp from
	any prev apps that started and is using /tmp space

	and more likely that not many people have a spare unused
	128MB or so sized partition lying around .. to format and
	chmod 1777 for fixing the incorrect /tmp

yup.. the box is runnable .. just not working right ..

c ya
alvin