Re: Web server Partitions - /tmp

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> > > I was thinking about this idea, so /tmp is on raid. Now temp dies, and you
> > > reboot, and now apache won't start?
> >

> > if /tmp is a separate partition and it cannot mount it during bootup,
> > nothing will work right if the app depends on /tmp, not just apache
>
> Wrong.
>
> The mount point directory will exist, and will serve as /tmp.  The
> normally mounted filesystem won't be there.  You'll just be using your
> root FS as /tmp.

yes.. you're right ...

but ... if "/tmp" accidentally mounted under root fs instead of separate
partition, than i consider the box as having gone bonkers and "not
working right" ... the box is not running as intended ( /tmp as a
separate partition ) and the system will die miserably one day soon
and lots of apps that uses /tmp will go (even more) bonkers
 	- guess i should been clearer
	- bad, unpredictable things happen when / gets full
	( when /tmp is used under root's fs )

c ya
alvin