Re: 4MB s3 video card (was QuickTime for Linux?)

James Miller wrote:
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Scarletdown wrote:

I'll give it a try on my testing station later to see if I can get it to
run on older hardware.  The testing station is a Packard Bell Multimedia
C115 with a Pentium-200. 96MB RAM, 4MB S3 video card, and some sort of

Be interested to know if that 4MB s3 video card is a Virge VX PCI?  I
installed Sid recently on a machine with the s3 Virge/VX 4MB video
card and was unable to get a display out of it.  I tried both the s3 and
the s3virge xservers.  It would be interesting to know if someone else has
gotten a working display out of this same card, and some details about how
(e.g., which xserver, what version of XFree they used).

Without opening up the case, all I can do is consult my notes on the system. My notes just say:

PCI0:  S3 Virge - 4MB - 86C325 (Card Type: 383)

I don't have that system hooked up right now. The keyboard cable and monitor cable that it uses to connect to my KV switch are currently attached to my Win-98 hardware testing station, which I am planning on firing up later this evening to see if I have Shorewall set up properly as a router.