Re: 4MB s3 video card (was QuickTime for Linux?)

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Scarletdown wrote:

> James Miller wrote:
> >
> > Be interested to know if that 4MB s3 video card is a Virge VX PCI?  I
> > installed Sid recently on a machine with the s3 Virge/VX 4MB video
> > card and was unable to get a display out of it.  I tried both the s3 and
> > the s3virge xservers.  It would be interesting to know if someone else has
> > gotten a working display out of this same card, and some details about how
> > (e.g., which xserver, what version of XFree they used).
>
> Without opening up the case, all I can do is consult my notes on the
> system.  My notes just say:
>
> PCI0:  S3 Virge - 4MB - 86C325 (Card Type: 383)
>
> I don't have that system hooked up right now.  The keyboard cable and
> monitor cable that it uses to connect to my KV switch are currently
> attached to my Win-98 hardware testing station, which I am planning on
> firing up later this evening to see if I have Shorewall set up properly
> as a router.

Hmmm.  Mine is s3 Virge/VX 86C988 - sounds slightly different somehow.
And which version of XFree and what xserver did you use?  I used Sid's
XFree - 4.2.1.1.  I got a working display on a different s3 card - the
Trio 64v+ - under 4.2.1.1, but only by using the vesa xserver (the s3
xserver, which is supposed to work for that card, would not cooperate).

James