Re: can't get screen to work for XFree86 in Debian

Hello

Ashley Hinton (<dangerobbySPAMSUCKS@paradise.net.nz>) wrote:

> I'm installing Debian 3.0 r.2 from CD, but am unable to get XFree86 to
> work. When I try to run X it says the computer can't find any screens.
>
> I'm using an NVIDIA GeFORCE 4MX video card into a 17" monitor.
>
> What should I do?

Look at the archive of this list on lists.debian.org or
groups.google.com (group linux.debian.user). Or at the output of
startx. Or at the XFree logfile. You will find that the nv driver in
XFree 4.1 does not support GF 4 cards. Either use the vesa driver,
update XFree or get the driver from nvidia. The latter will also give
you hardware opengl accelleration.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--