Re: Name resolution on Debian/Windows network

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 23:01, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> I have 3 computers on my home network.  The Windows machines are
> connected to each other using ICS.  I can ping one Windows machine from
> another Windows machine simply by naming the destination:
>
> ping windowsB
>
> from machine windowsA will elicit a response.  I can also ping my Linux
> machine from a Windows machine by name:
>
> ping linuxA
>
> from machine windowsA will elicit a response.  However, I cannot ping
> one of the Windows machines by name from the Linux machine, only by IP
> number.  I get the message 'unknown host windowsA.'  I am using DHCP to
> assign IP numbers on the network, so it is important that I be able to
> reach machines by name as the IP numbers change.  I'm not even sure
> where to start looking to resolve this problem, so any guidance would
> be appreciated.
> --
> Jeffrey Barish

Hi All,

   installing Samba for resolving a name resolution problem is (in my
humble opinion) like killing a fly with a nuke: overkill. Try filling
the /etc/hosts file on your linux machine. On a small network this is
the simlest and easiest solution. Dynamic host name resolution with
dns/bind/named is another posibility. 'man hosts' is your friend.

Sincerely,

Jan.