Re: Name resolution on Debian/Windows network

On (20/12/03 10:01), John Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 23:01, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> > I have 3 computers on my home network.  The Windows machines are
> > connected to each other using ICS.  I can ping one Windows machine from
> > another Windows machine simply by naming the destination:
> >
> > ping windowsB
> >
> > from machine windowsA will elicit a response.  I can also ping my Linux
> > machine from a Windows machine by name:
> >
> > ping linuxA
> >
> > from machine windowsA will elicit a response.  However, I cannot ping
> > one of the Windows machines by name from the Linux machine, only by IP
> > number.  I get the message 'unknown host windowsA.'  I am using DHCP to
> > assign IP numbers on the network, so it is important that I be able to
> > reach machines by name as the IP numbers change.  I'm not even sure
> > where to start looking to resolve this problem, so any guidance would
> > be appreciated.
> > --
> > Jeffrey Barish
> >

> Hi All,
>
>    installing Samba for resolving a name resolution problem is (in my
> humble opinion) like killing a fly with a nuke: overkill. Try filling
> the /etc/hosts file on your linux machine. On a small network this is
> the simlest and easiest solution. Dynamic host name resolution with
> dns/bind/named is another posibility. 'man hosts' is your friend.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jan.
I have a similar network and had the same problem - these reasons why it
doesn't work have been covered elsewhere.  The simplest solution I found
(only really feasible on a small network) as Jan suggested is to populate
the /etc/hosts file on each Linux box with the details of each machine on
the network:

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.x.x    Linux_host.domainname       Hostname

# Other Boxes:

192.168.x.x    Linux_host.domainname       Hostname
192.168.x.x    Linux_host.domainname       Hostname
192.168.x.x    Linux_host.domainname       Hostname
192.168.x.x    Linux_host.domainname       Hostname

This works for me ;)

HTH

Clive

--