re: dial-up to ethernet

Kent,

  The changes you suggested to
/etc/network/interfaces are definitely not working.
With the file configured that way,
"/etc/init.d/networking start" returns "operation
failed".  So does "ifup eth0".   I should also
mention that I had never made changes to the
loopback portion of the file -- I was only quoting
the portions of the file I *had* modified, so as
not to try everybody's patience more than I have
already.  ifconfig shows lo running properly.
  Frankly, I am back to wondering if the kernel
can deal with DHCP.  I have the idea I might
have seen something in my researches that
suggested it might not.  Is that possible?  I think
it's the 2.2 kernel.  Does that sound right for
potato?  And can it do DHCP?

Mike