Re: dial-up to ethernet

mmissett wrote:

Kent West said:

"the appropriate under-the-hood processes take place."

Well, unfortunately, it didn't quite work out that way. In fact, ifup would not work at all with /etc/network/interfaces configured like that . The following is exactly what I did to /etc/network/interfaces:

# iface eth0 inet static
#	address 192.168.1.1
#	netmask 255.255.255.0
#	network 192.168.1.0
#	broadcast 192.168.1.255
#	gateway 192.168.1.2
iface eth0 inet dhcp

This (above) is the correct form. You may need to include an "auto eth0" in the file, although I _think_ that only tells the boot script whether it should be brought up automatically or not. And I think the lo interface needs to be up also. So your file probably should look like this:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
# automatically added when upgrading
auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet static
#    address 192.168.1.1
#    netmask 255.255.255.0
#    network 192.168.1.0
#    broadcast 192.168.1.255
#    gateway 192.168.1.2
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Then I'd probably run "/etc/init.d/networking stop" followed by "/etc/init.d/networking start", although you could run "ifup lo" followed by "ifup eth0".

Also, I don't remember how your LAN is set up, but you'll of course need a DHCP server on your lan; I assume you've already gotten that taken care of.

--
Kent