Re: dial-up to ethernet

"mmissett" <mmissett@cine-med.com> writes:

> /etc/network/interfaces has the following: first, it says the
> connection is static, which it isn't, it's DHCP.

First off, I'd try fixing that.  Run 'ifdown eth0', replace the
current eth0 stanza with 'iface eth0 inet dhcp', then run 'ifup eth0'
and see what happens.

> So, do I need to rewrite this file to make it correspond as much as
> possible to what the Mac is telling me?

You could also assign yourself a static address on the same netblock.
But it would need to be a different address from your router address
and from your Mac.

> Did I cover everything?  One (hopefully simple) question I'm still
> left with is: how do internet apps, from ping to Mozilla, know I'm
> not using ppp/ttyX any more but eth0 over a network?

They don't have any idea at all.  At some level, they ask the system,
"I'd like an outgoing connection to 192.25.206.10, TCP port 80," and
the kernel deals with sending packets out over the most appropriate
network interface.  You can look at the relevant kernel configuration
using, among other tools, 'ifconfig' and 'route -n'; if nothing
ppp-related is listed there (especially in the route output), you're
not trying to use a ppp connection.

	-- Abra Mitchell