Re: Initrd - cramfs image is not being recognized by 2.4.20 kernel

From: Keith Goettert <Keith@EcologyEnergy.com>
>Date: Today 11:17:18

>My support of cramfs was complied into the kernel, but it still would
>not work.  A very telling sign that it was compiled in was its
>complaint
>that it couldn't find a valid filesystem in the boot messages (which
>according to my readings is also a disputed and unresolved
>bug/feature.)  Now I have redone the initrd image as an uncompressed
>ext2 fs.  I am still not home free (many many errors that need to be
>checked) but it does appear to be mounting it.  STAY TUNED this is
>going
>to be a HOWTO when I'm done.  I can't believe the number of hours this
>has taken!

I just got done recompiling a initrd kernel for a dual amd MP machine
and I did not have any problems at all.  I did cheat a little bit
because I installed a kernel-image then copied the config file
into .config of my kernel-source and compiled the kernel. I did this so
I could get rid of some modules that I have no use for.

In fact I did get the url off this list, thanks to the many developers
hanging out here.

http://master.debian.org/~herbert/sid/

I used kernel-source-2.4.23_2.4.23-1_all.deb

installed using dpkg -i, untar in usr/src and then built my kernel like
normal, using the debian way according to debian reference.
I then update-grub, reboot, then update-modules.  It booted into my new
kernel no problem, but did complain about a depmod problem, in a module
that I forgot to unselect in the make menuconfig.  Not a big deal,
everything worked fine just a message in dmesg, and whenever I use
depmod.

Since I don't like such messages I then went back to herberts site and
downloaded the kernel-tree-2.4.23.deb.  Then tried to install using
dpkg -i, but it complained and wanted a patches file, so I downloaded
that and installed it also.  I then rebooted and all my depmod problems
were gone.

Like I said if your having problems maybe you can install one of the
kernel-images for your system, then copy the config file over to your
source file.

good luck;

Rthoreau