Re: yanvp

Dobai-Pataky Balint <dpblnt@xenzor.ro> writes:

> yet another nvidia problem.
> i got a 2.4.22-1-686, and the kernel headers for it, for wich
> nvidia-linux-1.0-4496-pkg2.run said that there is no file in
> include...

>From just recently running the NVidia installer, it does have a prompt
for where the kernel includes are (maybe only in advanced mode); if
you look in /usr/src, the right directory is going to be something
like /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.22-1-686.

> so i got kernel-source, and symlinked it to linux, as it should, but
> than the compiled nvidia.o is not compiled with the right source, with
> which the image was.

This isn't useful; kernel-source-2.4.22-1 is used to compile all of
the kernel-image flavors, given the right .config file, but the -686
.config file isn't installed by default.  It might be buried somewhere
in the tree, but you'd also have to regenerate some other files.  In
any case, I'd delete the /usr/src/linux symlink, since nothing
maintains it and so it's not necessarily guaranteed to link to the
source for the running kernel.

Alternatively, you might be able to do something with the
Debian-packaged nvidia installer, using either a magic kernel-package
invocation (against the -headers package would probably work) or using
module-assistant.  I don't have an incantation for either available
right off hand, though.

	-- Abra Mitchell