Re: yanvp

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 01:05, David Z Maze wrote:
> Dobai-Pataky Balint <dpblnt@xenzor.ro> writes:
>
> > yet another nvidia problem.
> > i got a 2.4.22-1-686, and the kernel headers for it, for wich
> > nvidia-linux-1.0-4496-pkg2.run said that there is no file in
> > include...
>
> >From just recently running the NVidia installer, it does have a prompt
> for where the kernel includes are (maybe only in advanced mode); if
> you look in /usr/src, the right directory is going to be something
> like /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.22-1-686.
sure, i had there the right kernel-headers directory, but was not
enough.

> > so i got kernel-source, and symlinked it to linux, as it should, but
> > than the compiled nvidia.o is not compiled with the right source, with
> > which the image was.
>
> This isn't useful; kernel-source-2.4.22-1 is used to compile all of
> the kernel-image flavors, given the right .config file, but the -686
> .config file isn't installed by default.  It might be buried somewhere
> in the tree, but you'd also have to regenerate some other files.  In
> any case, I'd delete the /usr/src/linux symlink, since nothing
> maintains it and so it's not necessarily guaranteed to link to the
> source for the running kernel.
nvidiainstaller was lookin at linux.

> Alternatively, you might be able to do something with the
> Debian-packaged nvidia installer, using either a magic kernel-package
> invocation (against the -headers package would probably work) or using
> module-assistant.  I don't have an incantation for either available
> right off hand, though.
debian packaged nvidia driver gave the solution after i managed to
compile it wouldn't load becouse of gcc differences.
and the debian packaged nvidia driver was the only one who told that
kernel was built with gcc-3.3, so i had to apt-get it and compile
modules with it again, with that nvidia's works fine, so i didn't
compile again debian's.

it's resolved now,
anyways,
thanx for your attention. :)