Suggestion: Media Check for ISO Images

To: Debian Developers/ISO Image Maintainers

I downloaded Debian GNU/Linux 3.0R2 i386 from mirror sites and the MD5SUMS check was correct for the images. However, when attempted an install of the system, some CDs (not all, CD1-non-US was fine) has error in them such that i cannot install some packages. (I could not do an MD5SUM check on the CD contents due to unknown reason, WinMD5 refuses to check the MD5SUM file against the CD contents).

I thought I'd at least get some full system up... so I visited Fedora Linux Project and found that they have a feature of built-in MD5SUM in their images. So you can bootup the CD you burned, run "linux mediacheck" and it will automatically check the CDs content's integrity.

I suggest a "mediacheck" feature be also built into the ISO images so that its integrity can be checked before installation.

For Fedora's mediacheck thing, please refer to:
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/

Enoch Ko
ps: if this message has been posted in the wrong place, would someone please be kind enough to cut & paste and send this to the correct place. Thank you!! =)

Protect your inbox from harmful viruses with new ninemsn Premium. Click here http://ninemsn.com.au/premium/landing.asp