Re: GPM for mouse

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 06:55:50PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> | On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 12:41:05PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> | > On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 06:07:00PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> | > [...]
> | >
> | > Care to explain?  (I disagree, gpm is a piece of cake)
> |
> | gpm complicates configuring XF86 badly from my experience.  It's like
> | trying to grow anything hydroponically:  It can be done, but it really
> | complicates things.
>
> The complication is eliminated if you follow two guidelines :
>     1)  don't try to have two processes fighting over a device, let
>             gpm have the device and X reads from gpm's repeater
>
>     2)  use the same protocol for both (duh! it's the same mouse, it
>             better be the same protocol :-))  (and set gpm's
>             repeat_type to raw)
>
> I've never had any interaction problems following these rules.  I have
> seen many people get confused and/or misconfigured by the combination,
> but the above has always worked.

Ok.  This thread has piqued (not to be confused with peaked or peeked) my
interest.  I've just set up a Debian machine and was hoping to use gpm,
since I like to use alot of console apps in virtual terminals.  Having gpm
running was wreaking (not to be confused with reeking) havoc with the
mouse under X - even though I had X trying to read mouse output from
/dev/gpmdata.  The only way I could get the mouse cursor to get back to
normal behavior under X was killall gpm.  So, what was I doing wrong?  I'd
be delighted if I could get gpm to cooperate with the mouse cursor under
X.

Thanks, James