Re: Compromised? (Was Re: hard disk access on every keystroke in console mode!)

On Wednesday 17 December 2003 01:01 am, Tim Connors wrote:
> Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com> said on Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:03:05
-0700:
> > On Tuesday, Dec 16, 2003, at 22:14 America/Denver, Tim Connors
wrote:
> > > I'm still a little suspicious. We are behind a strong university
> > > firewall, so can't possibly imagine that I was compromised
> > > (although while I was attempting to debug the situation (with no
> > > luck, of course), I did unplug the notwork)
> >
> > Oh I'm certain there's NO ONE behind that "strong university
> > firewall" (ha!) that would EVER try to mess with other machines on
> > a University network!
>
> Strong, as in stronger than your typical stateful packet filter
> running on a Linux box.

So?  My point was the network INSIDE at a University is probably more
"dangerous" than anything outside the firewall coming toward your
machine.  You were concerned that your machine had been attacked.  I'd
look right there at your neighbor in a network environment like a
University before even caring what's on the other side of the firewall.

> Yes, the latter is possible, but for what point? I can't participate
> in a DDOS, because of said firewall.

What point does any cracker have?

Not being able to participate in a DDoS is a good thing.

--
Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com