Re: DynIP mail blocking considered harmful (was: Re: My email is rejected by some sites)

On Wednesday 17 December 2003 01:21, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> This isn't acceptable for general-purpose communications, however.
>  And I'd suggest you look into common carrier laws as well (I'm
> somewhat familiar with US statutes) as to showing preferences by
> customer.  I see little distinction between this practice and the
> illegal real-estate and insurance underwriting practice of
> redlining neighborhoods.

But as long as you don't go out and sue everybody who does DynIP
blocking, what does it give? I didn't especially like this policy
either. I had a simple mail server set up that was accesible only
from the inside - no real big dangers there. Still, my email wouldn't
get through. Heck, that was like a year ago.

Still, why exactly is it sensible to run around debian-user
complaining about this as long as you can't figure out a way to
change the policies of big providers like AOL. It seems like simply
setting a smarthost is the simpler choice.

And if you don't like your ISP's SMTP server, go get a commercial
email service, for example for your domain. Then use that as
smarthost. It's not like there's no way out of this.