Re: Web server Partitions

See generally my guide previously posted.

on Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 02:52:54PM +1000, Braxton Neate (braxtonn@hitechtooling.com.au) wrote:

> I currently have 1GB of swap space which seams sufficient, 2GB seems a
> bit excessive. I was told that the rule of thumb is double the amount of
> physical RAM.
>
> My main concern is running out of space in a partition once everything
> is setup and running.

Use LVM.

> What do people think about the following:
>
> / - 7GB
> /usr - 10GB

About 3x overkill

> /home - 10GB

Under served.

> /var - 10GB

10x overkill.

> /tmp - 1.5GB

100x overkill.  150-250 MiB /tmp is sufficient for virtually all
purposes.

> SWAP - 1.5GB

Rule of thumb:  1-2x RAM.

Effectively:  create a partition sized to your current RAM.  Replicate
this to the total system RAM.  Mount 1-2 of these partitions.

E.g.:

  - System has 1 GiB RAM and supports 4 GiB RAM:

  - Create four 1-GiB swap partitions.  Mount one or two of these.
    You'll expand into the remaining two as you add system RAM.

Peace.

  TWikIWeThey: An experiment in collective intelligence.  Stupidity.  Whatever.
    Technical docs, discussion, reviews, opinion.
      http://twiki.iwethey.org/