Re: My email is rejected by some sites

wow ... so, if you don't have exposure to the joys and sorrows of
running your own server on the net, how can you really learn?

then, the net and everyone who uses it should be licensed like ham
radio operators? afterall, the net is just a transmission medium
like rf is a transmission medium.

At Tuesday, 16 December 2003, Joerg Rossdeutscher <ratti@gesindel.
de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Am Di, den 16.12.2003 schrieb ScruLoose um 21:36:
>> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 09:08:12PM +0100, Joerg Rossdeutscher wrote:
>> > Am Mo, den 15.12.2003 schrieb Wesley J Landaker um 02:55:
>
>> > A mailserver can harm _others_.
>> >
>> > I said that yesterday, and today I find this mailinglist full of
>> > nonsense since one guy is not able to configure his procmail.
Now got
>> > what I mean?
>>
>> But his procmail rule would do exactly the same damage whether
his mail
>> is routed through a smarthost or sent direct from a local mailserver,
so
>> I don't really see how this provides any support for your position.
>
>Yes - but it shows a normal user should use as less "harmful" technology
>as possible.
>I wouldn't say a mailserver at home is useless at all, but if someone
>tries to setup a mailserver and doesn't even know that a lot providers
>reject dynIPs, I'd say: This person is the wrong one to connect a
>mailserver to the net.
>
>> Your argument is based on the assumption that an ISP can always be
>> trusted to set up a mailserver right, and the home user (sysadmin
of a
>> home LAN, etc.) never can.
>> I've seen enough counter-examples to convince me that this assumption
>> has no merit.
>
>The assumption is not "always" and "never" - but it is "very often" and
>"not so often". This should be compared to the risks of a useless
server
>just for fun. The next time there's a security hole in one of the
famous
>SMTPs, what do you think, how many of them will fix it soon?
>
>> Frankly, the "no e-mail from dynamic IPs" solution sounds like
Microsoft